Friday, March 11, 2011

Japan's Earthquakes & Tsunami

I've been responding to emails, texts & phones calls this morning. Some of my friends are asking if we are home yet. Others and letting me know they are thankful we are home. By the time I got out of bed at 8 this morning (having jet lag...Alex was up from 1 am until 5 am), I heard the news: Japan had been hit by a major earthquake & tsunami along with other earthquakes. I am so thankful we are home and safe. But, I am praying for the people of Japan!
We were mainly in Tokyo, which was not where the tsunami hit and was not the center of the earthquake. However, it was affected. I understand the train services are down. We rode the trains multiple times every day. Most of the people of Japan either use public transportation (we also used the subways) or ride their bikes. The trains are PACKED. In fact, I've seen photos of 'pushers' who push the people into the cars. We never experienced pushers, even during rush hour, but you do pack yourself in tight! I can't imagine if we'd been on a train when the quake hit. Or in a terminal. It is really crazy already with that many people running around. And, Alex was often the only child out of thousands of people. I'm wondering, as people rushed to get outside, how bad it might have been.

I've also heard that the tip of Tokyo Tower was bent. This is us (me, my brother, our new Japanese friend, Alex, and my brother's girlfriend) after we'd climbed down the steps of Tokyo Tower. I can't imagine being in that structure, which is a lot like the Eiffel Tower, during the quakes. Were people rushing down the stairs?

(Last photo I took in Japan showing trains delayed. Cause: Quake) 
I am praying for Japan. I loved it there. It was an amazing trip. And, I'm hurting for those who are affected by these disasters.

My brother's best friend's wife is from Japan. Her parents still live in the area directly affected by the earthquake and tsunami. We have yet to hear if they are OK. Please pray for them!

Thank you for your comments, thoughts, and prayers - Dana

4 comments:

  1. So glad to see that you made it back safe and sound. It just really broke my heart to read and hear the news this morning about Japan and the surrounding areas. I can't even imagine you and Alex going through something like that. Again, I am so glad that y'all are home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are safe at home! Wow - it's crazy to think how close you were to being affected by it. I bet it grieves your heart even more, having just seen those very places and people. I've been praying today and will continue to pray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have friends that live in Sendai and still no word.. We are far enough south that we are safe.. It will take may years to recover.....

    Glad you had a great time on your trip.. Japan really is an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, honey, I'm so sad that your eagerly anticipated and glorious trip will forever be mingled in with the horror of what happened as soon as you left.
    Try to hold on to your good memories. And we'll all pray with you for all the good people of Japan.

    ReplyDelete